Free WordPress Jetpack monitor replacement
I am slowly moving away from Jetpack, a WordPress plugin that bundles many smaller plugins. It is too bulky and I don’t need many of the features it offers. One feature I do need is Monitor that checks if my site is up and running every 5 minutes and notifies me by email when it is down or up. The same functionality can be had for free using uptimerobot.com:
- Sign up for a free account at uptimerobot.com and activate the account
- Add a new HTTP(s) monitor for you website and remember to select your email under “Alert Contacts To Notify”
Thats it! You now get the same 5 minute interval checking as Jetpacks Monitor service. In addition you get a nice simple dashboard to keep track of up and downtime.
I noticed you can be notified by SMS, but I did not have the option from my service provider to use the email to SMS option in uptimerobot.com and I did not want to pay for the Pro SMS feature they provide. I fixed this by a simple IFTTT recipe that listens on the RSS feed uptimerobot.com exposes for my monitor.
- Create an IFTTT account
- Login to IFTTT
- Create a SMS channel with the phone number you want to receive the notification
- Create a new recipe
- For “this” choose the Feed channel, choose “new feed item”, enter the RSS url from uptimerobot.com –> “My settings” –> “RSS Notifications” and click “create trigger”
- For “that” choose the SMS channel, choose “Send me an SMS” and click “create action”
- Finally click “create recipe”
IFTTT now listens for changes in the uptimerobot.com RSS feed for your monitor and sends an SMS for free every time anything happens.